Three stacks, one CAN driver!
Warwick Control provide a protocol stack for the marine industry specialist CAN protocol NMEA 2000. This incorporates the NMEA Fast Packets Protocol to handle the fast packet messages as required by the standard.
CAN Driver Support
The Protocol Stack interfaces with the target hardware through what is called the Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL). The HAL API is the Kvaser CAN interface API and is the same for CANopen, J1939 and NMEA2000 Protocol Stacks. It contains just 15 functions for talking to the CAN controller. However depending upon the sophistication of your requirements, it is possible that only 5 functions need to be implemented.
HALs are available from Warwick Control for many microcontrollers and CAN controllers which include:
- SocketCAN for Linux
- CMSIS for Cortex M cores (e.g. STM32)
- Renesas M16c, uC and
- Kvaser CAN interfaces â€“ USB, PCI, PCI-X, Ethernet, Wi-Fi interfaces
The Protocol Stack is delivered with a HAL for the Kvaser CAN interface and this can be used as a reference design so that you can see how to write the HAL for your target CAN controller.
HALs can be custom developed by Warwick Control. Contact Warwick Control with details of the Microcontroller and C compiler that you want to use.
Software Development Utilities
The Protocol Stack from Warwick Control is unique in that it comes with a package of utilities that help you develop your application:
- CAN/J1939/NMEA2000/CANopen bus protocol analyser this can send and receive CAN and higher layer protocol information, connecting to the CAN bus via a Kvaser CAN to USB PC interface
Scope of Delivery
- C Source Code for Protocol Stack
- C Source Code for HALs for Kvaser interfaces
- User documentation
- Kvaser Leaf Light CAN to USB interface
- X-Analyser Professional CAN/J1939/NMEA2000/CANopen bus analyser software
- One time license fee with no further royalties for your project
- 90 days email support
- Will help increase the likelihood of your device passing the NMEA device certification process
- Same CAN driver or Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) as the CANopen and j1939 stacks
- One time license fee which is subsequently royalty free
- Many microcontrollers supported
- Stack is very configurable so can be tailored for small and large targets
- Kvaser CAN API is supported so Kvaser CAN hardware for PCs and embedded PCs are supported
- Simulation of the stack is possible on a PC with a virtual CAN driver meaning that NMEA2000 application software can be developed before target hardware is available
- You can run the development on the PC without the target hardware or a CAN interface using a virtual CAN channel on our CAN/J1939 analyser software X-Analyser.
- After the initial license fee there are no further royalties
- 90 days email support is included in the purchase